Sunday, April 12, 2009

Greetings from South Korea

Just after I got my assignment here with the Air Force, everyone wanted me to begin posting about my experiences here in the Republic of Korea. It has been over a week since my flight touched down at Incheon Airport, and it already feels like I have been here for weeks. My flickr account is at Nealwashere and I'll be periodically posting travel pictures there.

The town beside Osan Air Base, where I'm stationed, is called Songt'an (송탄) and is a part of greater Pyeongtaek (평택시) in Gyeonggi Province (경기도). It's about a one and a half to two hour train ride from Seoul proper, and an interesting blend of the new Korea with stacks of apartments and gadget shops as well as the "old Korea" in US forces parlance, with a myriad of bars and tile-roofed houses slowly crumbling into the landscape. Since I've arrived I've experienced my fourth springtime; what I mean by that is that in February, spring flowers started blooming in Texas. Then I moved to Florida in mid-February and was there through early March, watching the same set of flowers and some more temperate ones bloom, and then upon driving up to Virginia, I watched the same Springtime once again. The Pyeongtaek area having a similar climate to Pittsburgh, I arrived here just in time to see cherry blossoms and the like yet again, and up in Seoul this made for some beautiful photographs.

Anyway, I hope to have many adventures to share about, and already I have several more entries in the pipeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment